BAIT: Avoiding The Bitterness Trap
Bible Passage: Ephesians 4:31-32
Trap: I am entitled to be bitter.
Truth: Forgiveness frees me.
- Reality is my friend.
- Release the offender by letting it go.
- Rebuild your spiritual life by focusing on the gospel.
- Would you rather interview Job about his life experience or Moses about his 40 years in the desert?
- What are the potential causes of bitterness?
- Describe the consequences of unresolved bitterness. How will bitterness affect your emotional health? Your relationships?
- Job had everything taken from him and he became bitter. (Job 7:11, 10:1, 21: 23-25, 27:2)
- When have you experienced bitterness? If you are able, describe your experience to your group.
- Painful experiences often result in bitterness.
- What practical steps can be taken to move from bitterness to forgiveness?
- Read the following: Job 42:10, Hebrews 12:14-15, and Ephesians 4:31-32.