1 John 1:5-10
- God is light: Perfect—Good—Holy
- I must walk in the light to have fellowship with God.
- Excuses won’t cut it.
- I must confess my sin to God.
- Confession is conceding it is true.
- Intimacy is rooted in honesty.
TALK IT OVER
- How does God look at us when we fail? Is the parent-child analogy helpful?
- Light and darkness are metaphors for good and evil. How does darkness deceive us about the light? In what ways can darkness be addictive?
- What are some practical ways to walk in the light? (See John 8:12, Psalm 119:105, and Proverbs 6:23)
- How will Walking in the Light encourage fellowship with each other? What happens to fellowship when someone walks in darkness?
- Confessing our sin to God restores our fellowship with Him. How impactful is 1 John 1:9 in your life? How have you seen God faithful to you in the midst of a spiritual failure?
- Pastor Steve told the story of Katherine Ann Powers who surrenders to authorities after hiding for 23 years. How does confession remove guilt?