Words have meaning and real impact in our lives.
Paul shares a positive vision of the tongue
no unwholesome talk, good for edification, may give grace
The tongue is like a small rudder
The tongue is like a fire
Who can tame the tongue? It is a restless evil
From the same mouth come blessings and cursing
Can fresh water come from the same source as bitter water
Can a fig tree produce olives, can a vine produce figs, can salt water produce fresh
Ephesians 1-3 is our spiritual Resume
Every spiritual blessing 1:3
Made us alive 2:5
Seated us with Him 2:6
We are His workmanship 2:10
Lay aside and put on
Be filled with the Spirit
- Do you have a family member difficult to love (or should it be, which one?)? Explain.
- Are you one who tends to be politically correct with your words or say what is on your mind? Are you content with this status? Why?
- Would someone new to GCF observe that we build each other up with our words? How about our community? Our culture at large?
- Describe one current situation where you absolutely need God’s power to control your tongue or be graceful with your words. Spend a moment praying for each other.
- How can your relationship with God influence one difficult relationship you have right now?