BAIT: Avoiding Political Traps
Bible Passage: Matthew 22:15-22
Trap: Jesus voted with me.
Truth: Jesus didn’t come to take sides. He came to take over.
- Pursue the King and His kingdom.
- Prioritize unconditional love your brothers and sisters.
- Put on the faith filter first.
- Pray for governmental leaders.
1. What year did you vote for the first time? On a scale of 1 to 10, how interested are you in politics?
2. The religious factions of Jerusalem attempted to trap Jesus (see Matthew 22:15-22) with a political question. How would you describe Jesus’ response? What kind of political traps do Christians face today?
3. A Christ follower might place allegiance to a political party above their loyalty to Jesus. What are the symptoms of this shift of loyalty? How can you avoid this trap?
Pastor Steve said, “We must be spiritually mature enough not to allow our differences to divide us.” If politics can divide us, what can bring us together?
Review the following verses: John 17:11; 17:20-23; John 13:34-35. How will internal church bickering hinder the spread of the gospel?
How will internal church unity propel the gospel?
How has your faith filter (aka Biblical world view), altered your thoughts about government?